Japanese team (reviewer) is not working

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen. balloonakafusen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 09:21:49 UTC 2017

I needed to this details so that you understand the problem.
I worked on it.

The subject is:

"Japanese team (reviewer) is not working".

We will need to consider web translation separately topic (or another
location?).
For example idea, Add translation candidates from Web translation to
Launchpad. It can improve the translation work.

To translators other than Japanese:
  This may be a problem now occurring or occurring later even in your
native language.
  Please think together and take measures.

This sentence is long. I apologize in advance. Sorry...

- Recent status of Japanese Linux distribution
Japan is a country where the use of Windows is particularly advantageous.
Even if you look at nearby PC shops and Amazon.co.jp,
PCs there are pretty Windows preinstalled (and Mac).

With the expiration of Windows XP, there was a movement to install the
Linux distribution on the PC.
Ubuntu flavors will also have acquired new users.

but Windows 7 was offered free of charge to upgrade to Windows 10,
There are few Linux distributions including Ubuntu flavors on PCs that
have run out of Windows.

The users currently supporting the Japanese Linux distribution is
decreasing by these.
Outside of Ubuntu, the following effects are also occurring:

-- Linux Mint
local group "Linux Mint Japan" has lost members to work.
The update of their top page is insufficient:
http://linuxmint-jp.net/

Linux Mint has already released 18.1 completely, but this page remains "18".
Recently the server has been suspended for a few days.

-- elementary OS
Their translation team was totally out of functionality.
Proposed members are not processed:
https://launchpad.net/~elementary-l10n-ja

I appealed this to the community.
A translation officer soon formed a new team:
https://launchpad.net/~elementary-l10n-jap
https://launchpad.net/~elementary-translators/+members

-- Vine Linux
https://vinelinux.org/

It is a distant distribution "from Japan" that is still well-known.
Vine Linux builds and manages packages on its own.
They were working towards the release of Vine Linux 7.
but it has led to a serious maintenance shortage.
So they are releasing Vine Linux 6.5.
Vine Linux 6.5 is already half year since the beta launch.

- Current status of Ubuntu Japanese Team
"Ubuntu Japanese Team" is Ubuntu's one local community.
It will be a Japanese distribution community that "represents the Japan".
but the team has obvious effects.

Team regularly held weekly meetings at IRC.
but that log stopped on August 18, 2015:
https://wiki.ubuntulinux.jp/IRCMeeting/

Clearly the work of the team is declining.

IRC meeting voting is included as a transition team' s participation transition:
https://wiki.ubuntulinux.jp/enroll/translator_candidates

  投票
  ・投票は、「Candidates」となった貢献者に対して、
    主として毎月第一回目の "IRCミーティング" 上で行う。

  (translation)
  Voting
  - voting is done mainly on the "IRC meeting" first of the every month
    for contributors who became 'Candidates'.

This work will not be done...

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-ja/+members#active

The final addition of Member since is "June 10, 2014".

- Current status of “Ubuntu Japanese Translators” team
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-ja

1 year translation work will be displayed as a numerical value as "Kerma":
https://launchpad.net/+help-registry/karma.html

So I looked up the karma of the Active members:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-l10n-ja/+members#active

Result:
  Akihiro Nishimura: 0
  Akira Tanaka: 83
  epii: 2
  Fumihito YOSHIDA: 35
  Hiroshi Miura: 0
  Hiroshi Tagawa: 14
  Jiro Matsuzawa: 51
  Jun Kobayashi: 35
  kawaji: 0
  Kenichi Ito: 194
  Kentaro Kazuhama: 110
  Koichi Akabe: 7
  lindwurm: 3
  luyikei: 0
  Naruhiko Ogasawara: 0
  Nazo: 1
  Satoshi Kubo: 0
  Shushi Kurose: 555
  Takahiro Sato: 0
  Taro Yamazaki: 0
  Toshiya TSURU: 0
  Ubuntu Japanese Team: (Team)
  Yasuaki Taniguchi: 40
  Yuki Kodama: 0

This result, there seems to be only 1 member active actively.
Clearly the review activity is stopped.
In the past year 16.04 LTS release and work are included.
This is a serious situation.

- Influence of Ubuntu flavors
"ubiquity-slideshow" The actual translation situation will be easy to explore:
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu

A few days ago Ubuntu flavors released 16.04.2 LTS.
Translation reflection information of that ubiquity-slideshow is as follows.
I shot an installation movie using Daily Build before releasing 16.04.2.
That movie is now on YouTube. I included that URL.:

Ubuntu Desktop Image: Complete Japanese
  Note to Japanese users:
   This is "not" Ubuntu Japanese Remix, provided by Ubuntu Japanese Team
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n1IXcgXacg (2:15)

Kubuntu: Some English
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONPk2CGnvdQ (3:00)

Xubuntu: Complete Japanese
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMir7we31E0 (1:56)

Lubuntu: Complete Japanese
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7Lhh4kTEQs (1:41)

Ubuntu GNOME: Some English
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VUY8XxA6lU (2:16)

Ubuntu MATE: "Complete English"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wKu7fLv8mY (2:02)

Also, during these installations you will occasionally get an English
message at the bottom.
They are LTS version point releases. Therefore, these are still translated.

Slideshow-ubuntu-mate has untranslated, but there are many waiting for review:
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/zesty/+source/ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu/+pots/slideshow-ubuntu-mate
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/xenial/+source/ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu/+pots/slideshow-ubuntu-mate

Ubuntu MATE is a new flavor. But the LTS version has already been
released. It's perfect English!
A few days ago slideshow-ubuntu-budgie was added this.
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/zesty/+source/ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu/+pots/slideshow-ubuntu-budgie

When will it be able to see complete Japanese?
It is already awaiting reviews for the full items.

That's why I am appealing:

"Japanese team (reviewer) is not working".

You and teams need to take this fact and consider measures.

When will Ubuntu flavors become available in full Japanese?
It is an important element that can acquire Japanese users.
In this way Ubuntu will leave Japanese users further...

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen. (Keiichi SHIGA)
balloonakafusen at gmail.com
https://launchpad.net/~balloon