Call for Telegram translations

Cheng-Chia Tseng pswo10680 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 02:58:21 UTC 2015

Michal Karnicki <michal.karnicki at canonical.com> 於 2015年4月1日 星期三寫道:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think iPhone, Windows Phone and Android
> (among others) use different formats. Transifex seems to support po files,
> though [1]
>
> Hey all, I wanted to open up with saying THANK YOU to your sustained
> contributions to translations. It's an amazing and helpful community we
> have here. I had a discussion with David, which I'd like to summarize here.
>
> Let me first say that I am very happy and pleased Telegram team was kind
> enough to agree to open up Transifex for Telegram for Ubuntu translation.
> They're amazing bunch of folks, and I think this shows they care about
> Telegram presence on other platforms as well. While re-using string
> translations done for other Telegram clients in Transifex sounds promising
> and encouraging, there is a concern whether at current stage of our project
> it wouldn't introduce coordinating issues. I won't get too much into detail
> now, but after listening to David's opinion I recognize those matters.
>
> However, since this was brought up by Ask, I would be keen to know whether
> community would be willing to do the following research work that would
> bring us closer to making good use of Transifex, should we choose to do so
> in the future.
> Please voice in whoever's familiar with Transifex translations. Android
> app uses this sort of compressed string placeholders, like, for "Secret
> chat cancelled" you would have something like (just an example)
> "SecretCancel" placeholder in the source, which in turn is translated to
> 'Secret chat cancelled' in different languages. Does Transifex suggestion
> engine (for already translated strings) make use of those placeholders as
> keys? *If* it does, it would be interesting to evaluate how much effort it
> would be to:
> 1) replace all strings the source with placeholders (re-using as much
> placeholders from other clients as possible, say Android - as we used that
> to model our own client)
> 2) ensure this doesn't do havoc in already made Launchpad translations
> (i.e. we have to distinguish here that we're making use of msgid field, not
> msgstr)
>
> If that is possible, I would expect we can have ~95% strings covered in
> our app based on strings from other clients. At the same time, I would like
> to make sure that our translators community efforts are preserved, if we do
> decide to make the switch eventually.
>
> To conclude - we're sticking for Launchpad translations for time being,
> but it would be great if anyone interested could explore the above
> mentioned area, that I'm currently simply not at capacity that I could
> address it myself (or at least on my own :) ).
>
> Let me know what you think, have a great day,
> karni
>

>From my view as an translator, Transifex is just another translation
platform. I would like my workflow on ubuntu translation could be done
toally on Launchpad without creating another account and translate just for
one app.

However, translators have to have some conversations with those translators
on Transifex to make the translated terms consistent on all platforms which
Telegram translation style guide asks. [1]

I think the problem is more about the ways of cooperation than choices of
translation platform.

It is more comfortable that we stick to Launchpad.

1. https://core.telegram.org/translating_telegram

> [1] http://docs.transifex.com/developer/formats/gettext
>

> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 11:53 AM, marcoslans <marcoslans at hotmail.com
> <javascript:_e(%7B%7D,'cvml','marcoslans at hotmail.com');>> wrote:
>

>>  So Telegram translations in Transifex use xml format not po format.
>> Merging would be a hard job for most of translators.
>>
>> On 01/04/15 10:50, Ask Hjorth Larsen wrote:
>> > Thank you karni :)
>> >
>> > So in conclusion, I understand that some advantage can be gained by
>> > merging, but it's probably difficult to achieve automatically in a
>> > meaningful way.  Translators could do it though by downloading the
>> > po-files and running msgmerge.  Thank you!
>> >
>> > Best regards
>> > Ask

>> --

> Software Engineer