Moroccan Arabic guidelines

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 14 17:38:19 UTC 2011

El dl 14 de 03 de 2011 a les 18:58 +0200, en/na Khaled Hosny va
escriure:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 05:37:13PM +0100, David Planella wrote:
> > El dl 14 de 03 de 2011 a les 18:22 +0200, en/na Khaled Hosny va
> > escriure:

> > > I'm a bit confused, we already have Arabic translation team(s), so what
> > > is the Moroccan Arabic thing?
> > >

> > Hi Khaled,
> >
> > It is a result from this request:
> >
> > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/117801
> >
> > If there is any area in which the teams overlap, I'd suggest you guys to
> > discuss collaboration or a merger between the teams.
>
> There is no much overlap, well there is no such thing as "Moroccan
> Arabic" as a formal language, only standard Arabic is used in writing or
> formal communications (taught in schools, written in books, journals and
> so), so it is pretty odd to have software UI in a colloquial dialect.

When adding new languages to Ubuntu we do a quick check for that, but
please understand that when there is an ISO code available for a
language or variant, and there seems to be a genuine interest from the
requester, it is difficult for someone not directly familiar with the
main language to be able to make a definitive call for non-inclusion.

> I'm afraid it give wrong political message about Ubuntu (like what
> happened with the so called "Egyptian Arabic Wikipedia").

There shouldn't be any political connotation to it if there is
communication, which so far has been very civil. I'd suggest you guys
talk about it off-list and let us know what you want us to do: if the
team should be kept or taken away from the ubuntu-translators group.

If there is any need for mediation, please feel free to use this list or
contact me privately.

Cheers,
David.

--