Moroccan Arabic guidelines

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Mon Mar 14 17:59:40 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 06:38:19PM +0100, David Planella wrote:
> El dl 14 de 03 de 2011 a les 18:58 +0200, en/na Khaled Hosny va
> escriure:
> > On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 05:37:13PM +0100, David Planella wrote:
> > > El dl 14 de 03 de 2011 a les 18:22 +0200, en/na Khaled Hosny va
> > > escriure:

> > > Hi Khaled,
> > >
> > > It is a result from this request:
> > >
> > > https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu-translations/+question/117801
> > >
> > > If there is any area in which the teams overlap, I'd suggest you guys to
> > > discuss collaboration or a merger between the teams.
> >
> > There is no much overlap, well there is no such thing as "Moroccan
> > Arabic" as a formal language, only standard Arabic is used in writing or
> > formal communications (taught in schools, written in books, journals and
> > so), so it is pretty odd to have software UI in a colloquial dialect.
> >

> When adding new languages to Ubuntu we do a quick check for that, but
> please understand that when there is an ISO code available for a
> language or variant, and there seems to be a genuine interest from the
> requester, it is difficult for someone not directly familiar with the
> main language to be able to make a definitive call for non-inclusion.

I know about the ISO code, the problem is that ISO 639-2 is full of
funny language codes on arbitrary bases (Egypt got 2, but following that
logic Egypt should have a dozen on language codes at least).

> > I'm afraid it give wrong political message about Ubuntu (like what
> > happened with the so called "Egyptian Arabic Wikipedia").
> >

> There shouldn't be any political connotation to it if there is
> communication, which so far has been very civil. I'd suggest you guys
> talk about it off-list and let us know what you want us to do: if the
> team should be kept or taken away from the ubuntu-translators group.

I'm not saying there should be, I'm only fearing it would happen.

I myself would have been pretty angry if this happened few months ago; I
would have felt threatened, but now after the Arabic revolution starting
in Tunisia and spreading through Egypt all over the Arabic world I feel
more confident about the Arabic unity, Arabs showed they are still one
community speaking one language and suffering the same pain.

So, as far I'm concerned, there is no problem to solve and I wish every
one luck with there effort, I'm just worried how Ubuntu's
current/potential users will see it (and believe me people are very
religious about this issue).

Regards,
 Khaled

P.S. Sorry for the politics, but I couldn't resist the opportunity :)

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Egyptian