Translation of the debian installer and the instalation guide

Gabor Kelemen kelemeng at gnome.hu
Mon Apr 5 18:47:39 UTC 2010

Adi Roiban írta:
> Hi,
>
> As stated on the DebianInstaller wiki page [1] the Launchpad
> debian-installer translations are included in Ubuntu ONLY if they are
> first included upstream.
>
> This means that Ubuntu translations teams have to manually export the
> translations and contact the upstream debian team in order to have them
> included.

 From that page:

"Updating them wholesale from Launchpad would put the maintainer in the
position of having to decide which of Debian's translations or
Launchpad's translations are better each time updated packages are
merged from Debian (i.e. at the start of every release cycle, and often
more frequently than that)."

I think there is no such question as "Is it better?". Well, actually
there can be, but deciding it is not the developer's task, but QA's. So
for simplicity, let's say that developers should trust our translations
unconditionally (except for syntax errors). In return, we provide you
with free (as in beer) translations, and don't ask questions like "Is
Debian's or Ubuntu's installer better?" :P

Having the opportunity to correct the various upstream's errors is one
of the most important reasons that I'm working on this particular
distribution. Losing this ability may be acceptable for technical
reasons, like in the case of software in Universe, man and help pages,
or debconf templates. However, I don't think this is a good solution to
address concerns about translation quality.

> In Launchpad, we have also the Installation guide translations [2] and I
> am not sure if they are used or we should send them upstream. Also I am
> not if that guide is in sync with the current Ubuntu changes.

https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/lucid/installation-guide/lucid

The changelogs are full with this:

* Resynchronise with Debian. Remaining changes:
  - Build only English (for now, until we figure out how to avoid trashing
    translations quite so badly with Ubuntu branding etc.).

It seems that there is no point in translating it.

Regards
Gabor Kelemen