Proposed Documentation String Freeze break - Ubuntu Music Store

David Planella david.planella at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 7 07:53:54 UTC 2010

Hi Matthew,

El dl 05 de 04 de 2010 a les 14:36 +0100, en/na Matthew East va
escriure:
> Hi,
>
> Currently we don't have any information about the new Ubuntu Music
> Store in our documentation.
>
> Matt Griffin, one of the developers of the store, has sent me some
> material that we could use in the "musicvideophotos" document. If we
> add this, it would result in the below strings needing translation so
> I wanted to get the thoughts of the translation team on whether it
> would be acceptable to break the freeze in this way. I think it would
> be very beneficial to have some documentation on the music store, but
> obviously this shouldn't be at the expense of translations. What do
> you think?
>
> QUOTE
>
> \subsection{Music stores}
> Rhythmbox has three music stores which give you access to an extremely
> large catalog of music with a variety of licensing options.
>
> The \emph{Jamendo} store sells free, legal and unlimited music
> published under the six Creative Commons licenses. You can browse the
> catalog and play songs by choosing \emph{Jamendo} in the \emph{Stores}
> list in the side pane. More information about their catalog can be
> found at \url{http://www.jamendo.com/}.
>
> The \emph{Magnatune} store sells music from independent musicians.
> They work directly with artists and hand-pick the songs available.
> Their catalog is composed of high quality, non-DRM (no copy
> protection) music and covers a variety of genres from Classical and
> Jazz to Hip Hop and Hard Rock. You can browse the catalog and play
> songs by choosing \emph{Magnatune} in the \emph{Stores} list in the
> side pane. More information about their catalog and subscription
> service can be found at \url{http://www.magnatune.com/}.
>
> The \emph{Ubuntu One Music Store} sells music from major and minor
> music labels around the world. The store offers non-DRM (no copy
> protection) songs encoded in either high quality MP3 or AAC format.
> Ubuntu does not come with support for MP3 playback, but the store will
> install the proper codecs automatically for free. You can browse the
> catalog, play previews, and buy songs by choosing \emph{Ubuntu One} in
> the \emph{Stores} list in the side pane.
>
> The Ubuntu One Music Store integrates with the Ubuntu One service. All
> purchases are transfered to your personal cloud storage and then
> automatically copied to all of your computers so an Ubuntu One account
> is required. The catalog of music available for purchase will vary
> depending on where you live in the world. More information about the
> Ubuntu One Music Store can be found at \url{http://one.ubuntu.com/}
>
> UNQUOTE

If it's these 5 paragraphs (which I do believe to be useful, if there
isn't any other documentation on the music stores) and we could combine
it with what we were mentioning in the other thread (having a
post-release docs update (*)), I'd say go ahead with it.

However, that's simply my opinion. We've had quite a lot of application
freeze breaks already on this cycle (or at least more have been
announced, as in past releases many breaks simply went through), so I'd
like to hear what translators have to say on this.

Translators: +1/-1?

Regards,
David.

(*) Note that as ubuntu-docs are now part of language packs, we'd have
to combine this with a post-release language pack as well, but I don't
think this would be any problem. I'd also propose to agree on a date for
such an update as soon as possible, and I can see two options: the first
week of May (pre-UDS) or the third week of May (post-UDS). What do you
think?

--
David Planella
Ubuntu Translations Coordinator