ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntu: contemplating some string changes

Danilo Šegan danilo at canonical.com
Thu Apr 1 17:51:47 UTC 2010

У чет, 01. 04 2010. у 18:53 +0200, Ask Hjorth Larsen пише:

> But many translators (and definitely *all* reviewers, people with
> permission to accept suggestions) should know what fuzzy means.  When
> dealing with a fuzzy message it is clearly necessary to see what the
> difference from the previous English message was - which is true for
> all semi-automatic translation suggestions.  It seems that fuzzy
> support was eliminated because the translation teams are not *trusted*
> to handle them correctly, which is not a very nice thing.  It should
> be assumed that translation teams know what they are doing.

There was never "fuzzy" support in Launchpad. And since Launchpad
exposed PO file fuzzy flags as "needs review" feature, it was very
confusing since there were also "unreviewed suggestions".

So it's not about not trusting translation teams, it's about making
Launchpad an effective tool.

> I don't want to sound too antagonistic here (we all want to improve
> Rosetta!), but I view the lack of support for fuzzy strings as a
> serious problem, making launchpad translations inherently more
> wasteful when comparing to 'direct' po-file translations (such as the
> GNOME damned lies translation site or translationproject.org).

Do remember that Launchpad is open source now as well. There is only so
much we can do, but there are unlimited possibilities for anyone else.
And then again, Launchpad does deal with PO files directly.

> Do the downloaded files from Launchpad contain the fuzzies (such that
> they are still there behind the scenes)?  Or is that only true of the
> upstream versions?  I didn't find any fuzzies in the modules I just
> tested, so I assume no.  But I would very much like the answer to be
> yes.

No, but you don't need them either.  What you need, and what fuzzies are
generated from are part of "obsolete" messages.  msgmerge should reuse
them (obsolete messages are still "translated").

Eg. try that with any translation like that.

Cheers,
Danilo