UNR translations now open in Karmic

Kyle Nitzsche kyle.nitzsche at canonical.com
Fri Sep 11 15:04:12 UTC 2009

Matthew East wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> 2009/9/11 David Planella <david.planella at ubuntu.com>:
>
>> The reason we adopted this approach is to minimize later work to
>> upstream (i.e. applying downstream translation fixes to the upstream
>> project) Karmic translation work.
>>

> Why not just translate everything in the distribution? I'm interested
> in this because it seems to me that there is no standard practice at
> the moment for where to translate Ubuntu-only packages.
Because these packages, despite the name "UNR," are not used in the
Ubuntu project only. The public upstream projects where the Ubuntu
Translators already focused their efforts during the last several weeks
are in fact downstream to further (private) upstream development and
translation efforts (that's where this software & translation base comes
from). And there are other down stream uses of the packages (you have
probably heard of some of the netbooks out there that use UNR).

Doing the Ubuntu Translator work as far upstream as possible facilitates
the multiple users of these packages (all of which are open source).
(This, in theory, is not much different from fixing bugs in software as
far upstream as possible.) This approach was discussed at the last UDS
with members of the Ubuntu Translator community, and a specification
resulted from the discussions.
https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/mobile-unr-karmic-translations

WE wrote the specification with the goal of pushing forward the
translation period as far as possible in order to allow UTs to work in
their normal Karmic translation work period as much as possible (right
up to a couple days before the user interface freeze). David Planella
communicated the plans and key points in the schedule to Ubuntu
Translators on the email list as well.

However, this does not mean that this is the final solution - of course
everyone is open to improvements. For now, this approach seemed best.

Cheers,
Kyle