Problems and suggestions in Launchpad translations (rosseta)

Kenneth Nielsen k.nielsen81 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 15:36:26 UTC 2009

2009/3/3 Kainourgiakis Giorgos <kaingeo at yahoo.gr>:

> --- Στις Τρίτ., 03/03/09, ο/η Kenneth Nielsen <k.nielsen81 at gmail.com>
> έγραψε:
>
> Από: Kenneth Nielsen <k.nielsen81 at gmail.com>
> Θέμα: Re: Problems and suggestions in Launchpad translations (rosseta)
> Προς: kaingeo at yahoo.gr
> Κοιν.: ubuntu-translators at lists.ubuntu.com
> Ημερομηνία: Τρίτη, 3 Μάρτιος 2009, 0:50
>
>>> Problem 2:
>> A Gnome, KDE or OpenOffice translator doesn't likes launchpad
> translations.
>> But why is that? Because launchpad does not include the development branch
>> of his project, instead it includes only Ubuntu's version (Many guys
> want to
>> translate via Launchpad but they can not). That is because Gnome
>  project,
>> for instance, does not use launchpad for translations (we all know that)
> but
>> an average translator would like better to work on his project via
> launchpad
>> translations. The main reason is because launchpad is easier.
>
> That LP doesn't have the development version of upstream packages are
> not the main reasons that I (an upstream GNOME translator) don't like
> working in LP. I wouldn't mind integrating a branched (and sligthly
> older) version of a program in both the branch and development version
> upstream afterwards. My main objection to working in LP is A; that it
> does not (yet anyway) provide a useable proofreading and feedback
> system and B; your problem 1.
>
> Regards Kenneth Nielsen
>
> The hole idea is that launchpad should contribute upstream. Its a excellent
> tool
> and it's a shame not to use it. When it's open sourced all will be
> different.

You miss my point. Regardless of whether or not it is open source or
not, and whether it holds the development version or not, I would not
want to use it as long as it does not have a decent proofreading and
feedback feature and hence makes it possible to implement a good
translation workflow. I.e. I don't think it is excellent tool for
translations.

Regards Kenneth Nielsen