Survey of l10n team communication tools

Gabor Kelemen kelemeng at gnome.hu
Fri Jul 17 19:40:56 UTC 2009

Evan R. Murphy írta:
> In the IRC meeting today, one topic discussed was the ways that
> localization teams manage their communication. Could a representative
> from each l10n team please reply to this thread explaining briefly (or
> not so briefly, if you like ;) how your team keeps in touch?

The Hungarian team uses the wiki for storing general information about
Ubuntu-specific workflow[1], and we have another page to track what is
important and who is working on it[2]. The mailing list is used for
general discussion not covered in the wiki. There is a generic Howto
about translation (spelling, style, technical details of gettext,
frequent errors, etc) in the wiki of hup.hu, biggest Hungarian Unix news
site[3]. Too bad that it's too big for beginners to actually read it.
We do not use forums at all, and IRC usage is minimal at best - there is
no dedicated channel, only #ubuntu-hu is used when needed.
For translation errors, there is a Google hosted project[4], that
provides one unified interface and place for all Hungarian localization
projects (Gnome, Kde, Xfce, Openoffice, Mozilla, Ubuntu, Opensuse etc.)
and for users. The idea is, that users should report any localization
problem they encounter while using open source software at only one
central project, and we assign it to the correct maintainer, who then
fixes it.

[1]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HungarianTeam/Translation
[2]: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HungarianTeam/TranslationCoordination
[3]: http://wiki.hup.hu/index.php/Ford%C3%ADt%C3%A1s_HOGYAN