Degree of trust and quality for Ubuntu Localization Teams

Danilo Šegan danilo at canonical.com
Fri Jul 10 15:33:27 UTC 2009

У пет, 10. 07 2009. у 14:35 +0200, Milo Casagrande пише:

> 2009/7/10 David Planella <david.planella at ubuntu.com>:
> >
> > These were all suggestions, and I'm wondering whether these should be
> > rather made requirements for new teams or new team admins/owners:
> >
> >      * To join the ubuntu-translators mailing list
> >      * To have a local translation mailing list, preferably at
> >        lists.ubuntu.com
> >      * To have a set of translation guidelines
>
> I would also suggest that: if there already exists an upstream team
> for your language and they already have guidelines, use those. Same
> for glossary.

I wouldn't require translation guidelines if there are no existing
upstream teams with significant translation done (we can easily see
this: are there a lot of imported translations already for the
language?).  We should not stop people from starting their translations
efforts with Ubuntu and Launchpad, and developing guidelines as they go
along.

In that sense, I would differentiate these guidelines for prospective
teams for established languages (established in free software
translation) and new languages.

Ubuntu and Launchpad still provide the best platform for kick-starting
your own language translation, and we should not lose that in the
process.

Also, I've long suggested we link to such guidelines from Ubuntu
Translators group, along with guidelines on any specifics for Ubuntu
translations (i.e. Debian Installer, OpenOffice, Firefox, ...).

On all other points, I completely agree.

Cheers,
Danilo