Apostrophe in date format in Ubuntu/Gnome

Adi Roiban adi at roiban.ro
Mon Dec 7 20:56:09 UTC 2009

În data de Lu, 07-12-2009 la 21:39 +0100, Iñigo Varela a scris:
> In Asturian language, like in English, is common the use of Apostrophe,
> i.e. (I am--> I'm; do not-->Don't)
> In this way, Asturian use Apostrophe with word "de", when the following
> word begins with vowel:
[snip]
> %a, %e de %b -----> llu, 7 de avi  (mon, 7th of dec), instead of correct
> form that must be "llu, 7 d'avi"
>
> Obviously, this format works for a few months, but it doesn't work in
> abril (April), agostu (August), ochobre (October), and avientu
> (December)
>
> How can we do for use the apostrophe with the name of months that begins
> with vowel? Any language with same problem?

There are similar problems with vowel exceptions in other languages.

As far as I know there is no trivial/feasible solution and while "7 de
avi" is still correct, I don't think we need to add complexity in the
system.
Many translators are puzzled by plural forms, adding vowel exceptions
could cause more problems than solutions.

Cheers

--
Adi Roiban