Serious problems with missing translations!

Jordi Mallach jordi at canonical.com
Mon Mar 13 23:17:09 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 11:49:58PM +0100, Erdal Ronahi wrote:
> > Translations autoimported by Rosetta from the tar.gzs will not override
> > the Rosetta translations. If you do a correction in rosetta via a PO
> > upload, it will only override what Rosetta has as "published strings" if
> > you mark your upload as "User upload", as opposed to "Published
> > upload".
>
> What about changes made via the interface? Will they override strings
> that are published upstream?

Yes, they have precedence, as they are another kind of "user uploads".

> The problem from the translators' point of view would me much smaller
> if the synchronisation happened more often. But that causes probably
> more work elsewhere.

I think that now, with everything in place, the big problems have gone.
I think it'll be possible to get stuff updated in Rosetta more often in
the future after Dapper is sorted out, as the new system to do the
imports should really help with that.

> One more question: Will it be possible to see a list of the packages
> that have not been translated into a certain language at all? If you
> are looking for cool packages to be translated, at the moment you see
> only packets that are partially translated in the list. For all the
> others you have to go the way through the search pages or the packet
> list of a more complete languages, which is both annoying.

Absolutely. Not showing the full list is a bug.
I found https://launchpad.net/products/rosetta/+bug/31697 in malone that
pretty much describes the problem.

Jordi
--