Where are we heading?

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Nov 13 22:43:56 GMT 2008

On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 4:01 PM,  <simon at mungewell.org> wrote:
> As (probably) the newest team member I am trying to get up to speed with
> what/when/how Sugar overlaps with Ubuntu.
>
> As I understand it.....
>
> At present we have 0.82 Sugar, but 0.83 (to be 0.84) is well underway and
> is significantly different in some areas.

The code base is similar enough that the work that is happening at
Ubuntu will flow up to Sugar and back in December.

This is has been the first time Sugar has been release on Ubuntu.
Many of the issues that you guys are pointing out are oversights that
we missed because we were focused solely on the XO.  The XO ran on a
pretty heavily modified version of Fedora.

> My understanding is that all of the XO/Sugar developers are busy getting
> ready for XO Camp next week (Nov 17) and by the end of the week a lot more
> things will be set in stone for the next release of Sugar.

The Sugar Camp next week will focus more on cross pollination of ideas
and strategic planning rather than setting things in stone.  Anyone
interested in coming is welcome to represent Ubuntu:)

One of the speakers sells systems based on Edubuntu.  He will be
talking about future collaboration stuff!

> There is already a road map here:
> http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Release/Roadmap
>
> There is also a Ubuntu 9.04 road map here:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JauntyReleaseSchedule
>

> With the Sugar 'feature freeze' (Dec21) just before Ubuntu 'Debian import
> freeze' (Dec25). Is this really that strict?

Not really, it is still possible to do bug fixes in Ubuntu after the
import freeze.  So there is quite a bit of wiggle room.

> Does that sound about right?
> Mungewell.

Yes, it does

david