[ubuntu-studio-users] Ubuntustudio-controls won't start

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Mar 16 11:04:57 UTC 2015

On Mon, 16 Mar 2015 11:16:35 +0100, Set Hallstrom wrote:
>On 2015-03-16 11:10, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> Anyway, distros that by default come
>> without a root account should prefer "gksudo" over "gksu". Likely
>> somebody planed to switch to "pkexec" for the menu entry and has
>> forgotten to do it. Is gpared in the menu? If so, what happens if you
>> start gparted? Watching the menu entries with Alacarte or another
>> menu editor might be interesting. Is "gksu" used for all entries,
>> that need root privileges?
>
>I thought gksu was the same as gksudo...

Hi Set,

at least kdesu can be configured to use sudo instead of su and IIUC
what man gksu mentions, then by gconf the same can be done for gksu.

$ cat .jwmrc-jwmpanel | less
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<JWM>
  <!-- lxpolkit is needed when e.g. using "pkexec" instead of "gksudo" -->
  <!-- <StartupCommand>/usr/lib/lxpolkit/lxpolkit</StartupCommand> -->

I commented lxpolkit out. On my machine everything needed to use gksudo
is running anyway, but for usage of pkexec there seems to be the need to
start an additional authentication agent.

Regards,
Ralf