[ubuntu-studio-users] [ot] Suggestions for a notebook for music.

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 02:52:25 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 3:43 PM, Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum at orgis.org>wrote:

> Am Tue, 11 Feb 2014 11:23:07 -0500
> schrieb Mike Holstein <mikeh789 at gmail.com>:
>
> > The thinkpad I have, T60, doesn't have a texas instruments FireWire
> > chipset, making it  inappropriate for FireWire devices in Linux for audio
> > production.
>
> Firewire audio worked fine with my old X31. Wasn't with TI chip, neither, I
> think. Might even have been O2micro or such. Sometimes, things are just
> wired up right. Case in point: A dual Socket A board with a flawed
> nVidia chipset which made Firewire audio impossible regardless of
> FW controller chip.

you should check, of course.. myself, and nearly any other resource you
find will suggest texas instrument chipsets in linux. i had a few non-TI
chipsets that worked fine (i want to say a few VIA chipsets were nice). the
one in that *specific* thinkpad, a ricoh chipset, didnt work well at all
with linux. any manufacturer is always able to (and usually will) change
chipsets or part revisions, and all they typically have to do is include
another windows driver on the site for it. this is not helpful or relevant
for us when we choose to do our own support for linux. one person could
have a chipset that supports linux in a certain model laptop, and on the
same model laptop, someone else could have a different chipset that doesnt
support linux well. this is not a thread about firewire support anyways, i
was only mentioning it to point out that, in at least one specific case, a
lenovo thinkpad was *not* ideal for linux audio. but, thats no reason not
to try one if one finds a unit for a good deal, as i did (mine was free).
also, the user didnt state what (if any) audio interface was needing to be
supported, so firewire support could be irrelevant. cheers and good luck.

> Alrighty then,
>
> Thomas

MH

mikeholstein.info <http://www.mikeholstein.info/>