[ubuntu-studio-users] Pulse Audio? Where is alsamixer?

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 26 05:32:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 25, 2013 at 7:38 PM, Henry W. Peters <hwpeters at jamadots.com>wrote:

>  Alright, got Ubuntu Studio 13.10 installed on my ext. usb drive, on my HP
> Pavillion desktop, now trying to configure for functionality.
>
> Wondering, first of all, if Pulse audio can be safely turned off...?  & if
> so, what is the best way to do this?

its not a safety issue in any way. if i didnt want pulse, i would just
remove it, but there is really no reason to remove it, unless you just
prefer not having it, and if i were a person who wanted to not have pulse,
i would start with lubuntu, which doesnt ship pulse (AFAIK) and add what
packages i want, such as JACK and ardour... the "best" way will always be a
matter of preference and use case. if you dont want pulse, remove it, but i
would consider troubleshooting the issues you are having. JACK can be setup
not to use the pulse dbus, if you want JACK only... in the qjackctl gui
under the "misc" tab, untick dbus

> Second, though alsa appears to be installed, when I call up 'alsamixer'
> from terminal... I get:
>
> "cannot open mixer: No such file or directory"
>
> I installed a gui alsa mixer (gnome alsamixer)... but it crashes after I
> start it
>
> Third, having trouble getting sound IN from my Native Instruments Komplete
> Audio 6 usb 3.0 device... (presently, using s/pidf connect from my Yamaha
> 01v mixer). I can get sound from *in* the CPU, i.e., radio streams, audio
> cd's, etc.. & I figured out how to get midi IN & OUT... so any one with
> such experience, & insite, your suggestions would be more than welcome.

sounds like you are trying to troubleshoot many things i once. i would try
and isolate a few things. try using whatever mixer controls you want with
the internal audio device only, and wait til you get sound working and you
understand the tools a bit better before moving on to even plugging in the
Komplete USB device.

these references may help..

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuStudio/ProAudioIntro