[ubuntu-studio-users] Pulse Audio? Where is alsamixer?

Henry W. Peters hwpeters at jamadots.com
Thu Dec 26 00:38:09 UTC 2013

Alright, got Ubuntu Studio 13.10 installed on my ext. usb drive, on my
HP Pavillion desktop, now trying to configure for functionality.

Wondering, first of all, if Pulse audio can be safely turned off...?  &
if so, what is the best way to do this?

Second, though alsa appears to be installed, when I call up 'alsamixer'
from terminal... I get:

"cannot open mixer: No such file or directory"

I installed a gui alsa mixer (gnome alsamixer)... but it crashes after I
start it

Third, having trouble getting sound IN from my Native Instruments
Komplete Audio 6 usb 3.0 device... (presently, using s/pidf connect from
my Yamaha 01v mixer). I can get sound from /in/ the CPU, i.e., radio
streams, audio cd's, etc.. & I figured out how to get midi IN & OUT...
so any one with such experience, & insite, your suggestions would be
more than welcome.

Thanks,
Henry