Has somebody a stable Ubuntu Studio NATTY 64-bit?

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Mon May 30 18:15:14 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>wrote:

> Hi Karl :)
>
> today I got a RME card, very, very expensive. I'm curious about it. I
> wonder if it will sound better than all the other cards I know, or if I
> just spend money for nothing. I bought a B-stock (customer return), so
> somebody perhaps wasn't satisfied by this card ;).
>
> ACK, but no full ACK regarding to "Linux audio isn't that good, as
> proprietary audio is". MIDI jitter for hw MIDI is an issue on all OS,
> AFAIK only Nuendo should be good and still with limitations. There
> should be no App for Apple or Microsoft systems, excepted of Nuendo.
> Using Jack2 from svn + a2jmidi_bridge on my Maverick install had at
> least for one song, completely no limitation. It was hard real-time as
> good as C64, Atari ST and 80's stand alone sequencers, there was no
> jitter.
> Regarding to audio it depends to the needs. If I should get rid of audio
> loss, I'm satisfied for home recording. Just for professional work
> Ardour2 IMO isn't stable enough. Sometimes it crash and sometimes still
> is to often, regarding to contract penalty.
>
> Best,
>
> Ralf

for me, ardour is quite a bit more stable than cubase was for me in XP, as
well as more capable. i usually find when ardour is crashy, its something im
doing which is causing the instability. i was trying the new irlv2 plugin,
and that seemed to cause instability. i tried using another packaged version
of the irlv2 plug from falktx's KXstudio ppa, and ardour (so far) has been
stable again. i personally enjoy the way JACK lets me push my system, and
find the limitations of my hardware. i remember doing something similar in
cubase where i would push the limits of latency and get a less stable
system, making cubase less stable. i have been in studios where most of the
big name current popular DAW's have crashed. when you push any system to its
limits, you can get instability. i find Paul Davis and the ardour team to be
quite responsive to comments and bug reports. if you are experiencing ardour
instability not relating to personal configuration errors, i urge you to get
involved, and report your findings. personally, i find if i relax my JACK
settings a bit, the system becomes stable again.

MH

http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/
http://wnclug.ourproject.org/