Sound cards (Was: Re: no sound

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri May 20 13:33:39 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 15:04 +0200, Hartmut Noack wrote:
> Am 20.05.2011 14:58, schrieb Ralf Mardorf:

> >> No, there is none.
> >>
> >> Any software, that generates sounds from scratch like a softsynth wil
> >> produce exactly the same stream with any soun card. In fact such
> >> software will even generate the very same stream if no soundcard exists.
> >>
> >> And if you record such a stream with Jack you simply store that very
> >> stream bit by bit.
> >
> > Wrong! There still could be rounding errors and dithering involved
>
> Yes, dithering makes a differnce -- if you use it.
>
> And do you think, sound cards or drivers provoke specific rounding
> errors in streams that are not even deliverd to them by Jack?

No! But I suspect a bug for Jack and btw. there already was a rounding
bug that was fixed, perhaps years ago.

The "you can't connect every client with every client, regarding to a
zero-copy issue" still was a topic some days ago on Jack devel mailing
list, but I didn't follow the thread, just noticed it randomly.

I won't lead on this discussion about a loss or no loss. When I noticed
sync issues, MIDI jitter and loss for audio before, most from the
community vetoed, then after a while the bugs I heard became a topic and
bug-fixes too.

I've got a good reputation regarding to professional audio engineering
and a bad name by the Linux community. I don't care about this.

A lot of people claimed that they don't have sync issues, but the coders
said that e.g. there was a sync issue for Hydrogen, when using Jack
transport, btw. I never used Hydrogen's step sequencer myself, but
noticed similar issues, for other usages. Very often people simply
aren't able to hear KNOWN issues.

Talking, resp. writing about some bugs is useless. I need to live with
those issues.

Ralf