Dual Boot Problem

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Nov 8 15:14:21 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 09:53 -0500, Mike Holstein wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 9:37 AM, mischa falkenburg
> <because_productions at myfairpoint.net> wrote:
>
>         Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>         > On Sun, 2010-11-07 at 07:28 -0500, mischa falkenburg wrote:
>         >
>         >> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>         >>
>         >>> On Sat, 2010-11-06 at 09:06 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>         >>>
>         >>>
>         >>>> PS:
>         >>>>
>         >>>> For GRUB there should be a line
>         >>>>
>         >>>> timeout 8
>         >>>>
>         >>>> and for GRUB2 there should be the lines
>         >>>>
>         >>>> if [ ${recordfail} = 1 ]; then
>         >>>>   set timeout=-1
>         >>>> else
>         >>>>   set timeout=10
>         >>>> fi
>         >>>>
>         >>>> or similar.
>         >>>>
>         >>>> AFAIK the numbers for the timeouts are seconds.
>         >>>>
>         >>>> Hth,
>         >>>>
>         >>>> Ralf
>         >>>>
>         >>>>
>         >>> PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPS, pardon:
>         >>>
>         >>> You might use GRUB2 and you perhaps has got an issue
>         regarding to a
>         >>> recordfail.
>         >>>
>         >>>
>         >>>
>         >>>
>         >>>
>         >> HI Ralf, thanks for your many responses.
>         >>
>         >> As you can see from what I've written Ronan, there may be
>         more going on
>         >> here rather than not seeing anything (initially).
>         >> Did the install of UbuStu 10.04 happen or not?
>         >>
>         >> Thoughts?
>         >>
>         >> Mischa
>         >>
>         >
>         > With a live cd or from the Linux that can be booted copy
>         >
>         > /boot/grub/menu.lst
>         >
>         > or
>         >
>         > /boot/grub/menu.cfg
>         >
>         > to an email to the list. I guess just the menu entries are
>         missing.
>         >
>         > Take a look at all partitions. If there are folders /boot on
>         some
>         > partitions there should be the kernels. For any kernel there
>         has to be
>         > an entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst, for /boot/grub/menu.cfg it
> [...]

Hm? I guess we could help him with GRUB too, anyway, GRUB2 isn't that
bad for such a situation.

After installing GRUB2 it's always possible to
run /usr/sbin/update-grub, which will execute grub-mkconfig, hence a
menu list with every possible kernel will be generated, if wanted or
unwanted ;). It's still possible that some entries are bad, but at least
everything is added.

Maybe a good idea to switch to GRUB2, because it's the default
bootloader for newer Ubuntu.

- Ralf