Dual Boot Problem

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 14:53:01 GMT 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 9:37 AM, mischa falkenburg <
because_productions at myfairpoint.net> wrote:

> Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> >> HI Ralf, thanks for your many responses.
> >>
> >> As you can see from what I've written Ronan, there may be more going on
> >> here rather than not seeing anything (initially).
> >> Did the install of UbuStu 10.04 happen or not?
> >>
> >> Thoughts?
> >>
> >> Mischa
> >>

> > With a live cd or from the Linux that can be booted copy
> >
> > /boot/grub/menu.lst
> >
> > or
> >
> > /boot/grub/menu.cfg
> >
> > to an email to the list. I guess just the menu entries are missing.
> >
> > Take a look at all partitions. If there are folders /boot on some
> > partitions there should be the kernels. For any kernel there has to be
> > an entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst, for /boot/grub/menu.cfg it can be a
> > little bit complicated.
> >

> (copying the info from ...grub isn't "behaving", but just from my
> looking at .../menu.lst, all that's listed are two different 8.04 LTS
> kernels:
>
> 2.6.24-28-generic
> &
> 2.6.24-19-generic
>
> Nothing in the file about 10.04...,
>
> I also don't see a file for .../menu.cfg , is that supposed to be in the
> Grub folder?
>
> Mischa

i think it would have been a good idea to get the older install (8.04) up to
GRUB2, then install the 10.04 (with GRUB2). i would try reading over the
GRUB2 wiki page https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2 , also maybe this
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

i have used http://gag.sourceforge.net/ in the past, you could try it or
another 3rd party bootloader and see if you can find your OS's... good luck

--
MH
http://www.myspace.com/mikeholstein

http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/