Dual Boot Problem

Mike Holstein mikeh789 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 15:27:55 GMT 2010

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-11-08 at 09:53 -0500, Mike Holstein wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 9:37 AM, mischa falkenburg
> > <because_productions at myfairpoint.net> wrote:
> >
> >         Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >         > On Sun, 2010-11-07 at 07:28 -0500, mischa falkenburg wrote:
> >         >
> >         >> Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >         >>
> >         >>> On Sat, 2010-11-06 at 09:06 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> >         >>>
> >         >>>
> >         >>>> PS:
> >         >>>>
> >         >>>> For GRUB there should be a line
> >         >>>>
> >         >>>> timeout 8
> >         >>>>
> >         >>>> and for GRUB2 there should be the lines
> >         >>>>
> >         >>>> if [ ${recordfail} = 1 ]; then
> >         >>>>   set timeout=-1
> >         >>>> else
> >         >>>>   set timeout=10
> >         >>>> fi
> >         >>>>
> >         >>>> or similar.
> >         >>>>
> >         >>>> AFAIK the numbers for the timeouts are seconds.
> >         >>>>
> >         >>>> Hth,
> >         >>>>
> >         >>>> Ralf
> >         >>>>
> >         >>>>
> >         >>> PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPS, pardon:
> >         >>>
> >         >>> You might use GRUB2 and you perhaps has got an issue
> >         regarding to a
> >         >>> recordfail.
> >         >>>
> >         >>>
> >         >>>
> >         >>>
> >         >>>
> >         >> HI Ralf, thanks for your many responses.
> >         >>
> >         >> As you can see from what I've written Ronan, there may be
> >         more going on
> >         >> here rather than not seeing anything (initially).
> >         >> Did the install of UbuStu 10.04 happen or not?
> >         >>
> >         >> Thoughts?
> >         >>
> >         >> Mischa
> >         >>
> >         >
> >         > With a live cd or from the Linux that can be booted copy
> >         >
> >         > /boot/grub/menu.lst
> >         >
> >         > or
> >         >
> >         > /boot/grub/menu.cfg
> >         >
> >         > to an email to the list. I guess just the menu entries are
> >         missing.
> >         >
> >         > Take a look at all partitions. If there are folders /boot on
> >         some
> >         > partitions there should be the kernels. For any kernel there
> >         has to be
> [...]

im not suggesting that we wont help with grub1, what im saying is... grub1
was installed with the 8.04 version... then, GRUB2 is installed with the
10.04 version.. SO basically what i am assuming is currently installed on
the computer is this configuration, a 10.04 GRUB2 install that is not
finding the 8.04 version and booting it... is this correct??

--
MH
http://www.myspace.com/mikeholstein

http://opensourcemusician.libsyn.com/