What's wrong with jack ?

Brian David beejunk at gmail.com
Mon May 31 19:36:34 BST 2010

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 8:17 PM, Jose H. <joseche at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Jack is used for everything, it just seems to be the standard for anything
> related to audio in linux, BUT it doesn't work out of the box in Ubuntu
> Studio, which for me seems like a huge contradiction, you have everything
> that works with jack, but jack doesn't work :S
>
> Am I supposed to *"rm /usr/bin/pulseaudio"* to make jack work ?, or it is
> just that Ubuntu Studio is not ready to be used for music production in a
> real sense ? = it is just for testing and experimenting
>
> Thanks.

Jack is like a lot of other things in Linux: for better or worse, the
quality and versatility of the software is the top priority, and an easy
user experience is often not a main consideration.  For this reason, there's
a fairly steep learning curve for using audio in Ubuntu, but it is worth
it.  Having used Ubuntu for audio work for about a year and half now, I can
comfortably say that, with a well set up system, Linux will out perform any
other OS when it comes to audio.

That being said, when it comes to getting Jack started, in most cases it
involves simply adding yourself to the 'audio' group (as someone else has
already mentioned).  If you're using a firewire device, you will also want
to use Ubuntu Studio Controls (under System > Administration) to get the
right permissions by selecting the raw1394 option.  Also, if you're using a
version of Ubuntu that is running Network Manager, it is probably a good
idea to disable networking while using Jack.

That should get you started.  Of course, there' s a lot of other stuff to
learn, and that takes time.

--
-Brian David