What's wrong with jack ?

Ricardo Lameiro ricardolameiro at gmail.com
Mon May 31 16:27:51 BST 2010

well, can you explain what do you mean with jack doesnt work out of the box?
i installed ubuntu studio setup jack and it worked. when i said setup jack,
i speak on setting the latency/frames/buffers/periods. and it worked on the
generic kernel with rt flag on jack, so maybe it doesnt work for you, but
form works.

2010/5/31 Pablo Fernandez <pablo.fbus at gmail.com>

> On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 3:17 AM, Jose H. <joseche at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Jack is used for everything, it just seems to be the standard for anything
>> related to audio in linux, BUT it doesn't work out of the box in Ubuntu
>> Studio, which for me seems like a huge contradiction, you have everything
>> that works with jack, but jack doesn't work :S
>>

> I agree that jack should work out of the box in ubuntustudio but I don't
> agree that pulseaudio should not be the default audio system.
>
> In many cases, jack does not suit users well but pulseaudio is fine.
>
> As I see it, Jack is a must  for audio production, but not for audio in
> general. For example, if you have a surround system like in a home cinema,
> pulseaudio is the audio system that just works. Not jack.
>

>> Am I supposed to *"rm /usr/bin/pulseaudio"* to make jack work ?, or it is
>> just that Ubuntu Studio is not ready to be used for music production in a
>> real sense ? = it is just for testing and experimenting
>>

> US is almost there. Imho, US should add the first user to the audio group
> automatically so that jackd starts out of the box from qjackctl. jackd post
> inst script (in lucid) gives the users in the audio group the privileges
> that jackd needs.
>
> For the rest, qjackctl launches pasuspender so pulseaudio is (almost) out
> of the way.
>
> Afaik, a cleaner approach than pasuspender or the rm you suggest in getting
> rid of pulseaudio is the following:
>
> qjackctl --> Options tab, execute script on startup:
> pulseaudio -k
>
> (this kills pulseaudio) (artsshell sounds like jurasic)
>
> However, pulseaudio will respawn automatically if you don't do the
> following:
>
> $ sudo edit /etc/pulse/client.conf
>
> Change the line:
> ; autospawn = yes
> to:
> autospawn = no
>
> If you wish to start pulseaudio, once the jack session is finished:
>
> $ pulseaudio --start
>
> BTW, pavucontrol seems better to me than gnome sound control, both being
> pulseaudio control interfaces.
>
> Cheers! Pablo

Fagote / Contrafagote
Bassoon / Contra-bassoon