Motherboard compatibility - AMD, Intel

Fernando Gomes f.m.gomes at gmail.com
Thu May 6 10:40:19 BST 2010

Hi Laurent

Thanks for your reply, this is my update:

I've inhibited the onboard graphics controller and installed a ATI
Radeon 9200 Pro (a spare board I have at home). The standard Ubuntu
works much better due to a better graphics controller (3D effects are
now possible, etc.). With the realtime kernel I have almost the same
issues I had before (and I have to remove the 3D effects, because with
3D effects active some application windows are completely black, p.e.
Nautilus). The mouse sometimes works in "slow motion" from the
beginning, sometimes change to "slow motion" during the first minutes
after logging in. I've noticed two different things on dmesg , one is
this line that appears sometimes (complete dmesg output attached):

[  512.000033] should not be here with counts=0

The other issue I was unable to copy it because the PC completely
hangs a few minutes later, is a watchdog failure of what to me seems
the ethernet interface driver (and the ethernet communication was
blocked for some seconds). After that message I had a eth0 link up
message and the system has recovered.

Now I've started testing with my USB audio interface, and when the
mouse starts working in slow motion the audio interface also stopped
working, so it seems that the USB subsystem has some issues with the
RT kernel.

Do you suggest any other diagnose that could help to find the culprit(s)?

The kernel that I'm using is the Linux version 2.6.31-10-rt, that was
installed when I choose the ubuntustudio packages, but it has a
version previous to the standard kernel - Linux version
2.6.32-22-generic. Is this the 'good' RT kernel for Ubuntu 10.04? Are
there some alternative RT kernels? In my previous platform I normally
built my own RT kernels, but I want to use the distribution RT kernel
if possible. I've made also some tests using the generic kernel with
audio, using Hydrogen and Rackarrack and I didn't noticed audio issues
with the generic (non RT kernel), with Jack configured with the RT
option, is this normal?

If there is no other way I can try to change the motherboard but I
need to be sure to buy one that works with the RT kernel, are there
any suggestions (if possible compatible with my current processor -
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+ stepping 02)

Thanks in advance

Fernando