MIDI-support card needed

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Aug 24 09:31:57 BST 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 10:20 +0200, Michael wrote:

> > Don't! Avoid USB MIDI, see the LAD archive for ALSA MIDI latency
> > (jitter) tests. By the way, I've got a Swissonic USB device, the jitter
> > test was ok, but listening isn't ok, anyway 2 of this, for USB good
> > devices, does cost less then one Edirol,
> > http://www.thomann.de/gb/swissonic_midiusb_1x1.htm.
>
> This is really out of question to me: I will certainly not use MIDI over USB. I talked to some guys and beside the technical issues of this, there is the question about the intention of a musician using this: Doing real music certainly does not work with MIDI over USB. I know that this opinion may be considered as offensive or something like this, but that´s what I was told but everyone I asked, so I guess, there is truth behind it.
>
> Any other real good sound cards that can be recommended?
>
> Greets,
> Dennis

I don't have the money for a good sound card, hence I can recommend what
sound card not to buy ;).

I've got 2 Terratec EWX 24/96. It's said that the converter AK 4524
should be a good one, so I guess I've got a bad sound quality because
it's analog circuits aren't good. next time I'll use my DAT recorders
and use S/PDIF instead of the analog IOs of those cards.

MIDI by those Envy24 cards is ok, such a card costs around 30,- € at
Ebay. You could get it for MIDI, but you shouldn't buy it for audio,
OTOH, if you don't have money, get it for audio too.