Trouble with wireless setup

mischa falkenburg because_productions at myfairpoint.net
Wed Apr 14 16:53:59 BST 2010

Rolf Krüger wrote:
> Hi Mischa,
>

> AFAIK (well, remember, at least :-) there have been some changes to the
> wireless-stuff between 8.04 and 9.04. It was around that time
> (8.04 i guess) that I also had trouble getting my notebook
> connected to WiFi. With newer installations I never had that
> trouble again. I would really give the latest stable of UbuStu a try.
> Have it here on a parallel installation, too and did not see one single
> problem yet ...
>
> But I would suggest to ask google about your specific problem before
> dropping a "working" installation - bet you had your reasons, why
> you have installed 8.04 ...
>

> regards
> rolf
>
> mischa falkenburg wrote:
>
>> Hi, I am writing this via my Xubuntu (9.04) installation, but I've also
>> installed Studio (8.04) on this box so I'll have my choice in Grub.
>> OK, the install went alright...except it wouldn't detect any network
>> stuff, etc.
>> So, it appears to be a functioning install, but I'm unable to get the
>> wifi network connection going...even with it set to DHCP. Is it because
>> of the difference in the versions? Does 8.04 have a "problem" because
>> it's 8.04 instead of 9.04?
>> Any help greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Mischa

Hi Rolf,
To be honest about it, the only reason I tried to use 8.04, is that it's
what I have available on a DVD. I haven't done an extensive search, but
so far all I've seen out there for download is 8.04.
( I did have a different box that had a more recent version...but it
already had a working wifi connection!) Any chance you (or someone else)
could provide a link to something more recent?

Thanks again, Mischa.