recording vocals

Fernando Gomes f.m.gomes at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 17:36:40 BST 2009

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 5:15 PM,  <beejunk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 9, 2009 11:05am, Fernando Gomes <f.m.gomes at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 3:25 PM, sandie sandie at sandgreen.dk> wrote:
>>

>> Hi Teza and Sandie
>>

>> My PC doesn't even boot with 8.10 and 9.04 rt kernels, but works very
>>
>> well with 8.04 and also works (more or less) with 9.10 beta. I built
>>
>> custom rt kernels for 8.10 and 9.04 to be able to make them work on my
>>
>> hardware (AMD 780G chipset with a Athlon 64 X2 processor). Never
>>
>> managed to run the proprietary ATI drivers with the rt kernels thow,
>>
>> even on the new 9.10 beta (you can see my results at
>>
>> http://openstudio.info). The ATI proprietary driver work with every
>>
>> version with non rt kernels on the same hardware (I didn't test it yet
>>
>> with the 9.10 beta not realtime).  I still have some freezes with 9.10
>>
>> with its rt kernel, no freezes using 8.04 with its rt kernel nor using
>>
>> any of the custom built rt kernels (nor using non rt kernels from any
>>
>> of these versions). So I I'll put my effort on having a stable 9.10
>>
>> system with its rt kernel (32 bit, since I'll only have 2GB RAM, I
>>
>> have no advantage on having a 64 bit OS).
>>

>> Regards from Portugal!
>>

>> Fernando
>>

>> --

> I was under the impression that the proprietary drivers were never updated
> by ATI ever since a somewhat workable free driver became available. Which
> put a lot of people in a bad spot because the free driver is not quite
> up-to-speed yet, and many users found that they're 3D rendering was really
> bad and there was no easy fix (I think that the proprietary drivers CAN be
> used with 9.04, but not without a lot of work). As far as I know, Hardy was
> the last system which had a truly working proprietary ATI driver.
>
> This article covers the issue:
>
> http://blogs.computerworld.com/the_ubuntu_and_ati_blues

Yes, I had the ATI driver working on the 9.04 (non rt) after manually
installing it - I didn't remember exactly the process to do it, but it
worked (this is why now I'm logging my "work" on openstudio.info, this
way I have a memo of what I have done and can be also usefull to
others). I didn't managed to use the ATI proprietary drivers with the
rt kernel (I had to boot using the non rt kernel, change to the free
driver and boot again the rt kernel). The problem for me with the free
driver is that it is TERRIBLY SLOW... When I have a full screen
refresh I can see it being refreshed from top to bottom. With the ATI
driver (catalyst) it is very fast.

If you have some tips on how to use the proprietary drivers with the
rt kernel, please let me know ;-)

Fernando