Sage advise needed! Ubuntu Studio 9.10 & error 15 (in grub?)

Daniel techknow at internalkernel.com
Wed Nov 11 18:32:21 GMT 2009

>>> Ok, to start out with, after a "clean" install by dvd (I erased all data
>>> on my ext3 partition), I will, for now, only ask if someone can please
>>> tell me what *'error 15'* means, when loading Ubuntu Studio 9.10 (in
>>> 'Grub,' the computer hangs&  will not allow me to chose  between UBS
>>> 9.10 or Windows XP! I had to go back to loading Ubuntu 8.01, on a live
>>> cd that I fortunately still had around, to get rid of that problem).
>>>

>> Error 15 usually means Grub can't find the boot partition. It sounds
>> like Grub is not loading at all, which probably means you need to
>> reinstall grub from a live cd:
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2#Reinstalling%20from%20LiveCD
>>
>> Daniel
>>

>>> Willing to try again...
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Henry
>>>

> Hey, thanks much Daniel... that site was very informative...
>
> However, it appears to me, the Ubuntu Studio, v. 9.10 is *not* a 'live
> cd," (&  in fact, is, because of size (1.4 gb, a DVD), so not sure if
> this is possible with the UBS DVD (?). The site that you linked,
> indicated there may be a way to access to reinstall via a rudimentary
> terminal, during attempted booting... what I am wondering, now though,
> is there something I can do to insure the correct boot partition DURING
> THE INSTALL,  in the first place, when I "try again?" I.e., it appears
> that 'Grub 2' has a different way of counting the disks/partitions...
> perhaps I did something wrong in my choice of where to boot from?&  as
> another note, I had some problem figuring out the way to select options,
> seemed different, some how, from previous Ubuntu installers...

Grub is going to be very picky about the disks that are attached to the
machine when you install. So, for instance if you have a removable disk
that grub identifies as part of the install - and then you remove that
and attempt to boot... problems ensue. So, for instance your windows
install - if that partition is moved or changed after grub is installed;
you will get an error 15 - but most likely when trying to boot that
specific drive and not when grub loads.

Without knowing the specifics of your install, it sounds like something
regarding the drive configuration that you had installed ubuntu onto
changed. Maybe when erasing the data on your ext3 you had formatted the
drive, which would change the UUID and perhaps other aspects. If grub
was installed on this drive, that would cause the error you are talking
about.

My suggestion would be to partition your system before installing, do a
clean install and if you want to change anything - change it in Ubuntu,
then remember to run:

sudo update-grub

if you get errors during that process, resolve them before rebooting... ;)

It sounds like you got the problem figured out and are able to boot your
OS'es now?
> Some insight into one other issue or question which could conceivably be
> helpful before an install; ext3 versus ext4 (I have gleaned from
> http://kernelnewbies.org/Ext4 that possible improved performance&
> storage space may be there (in ext4 formatting), I think I remembered,
> from not too long ago on this list (?) someone commenting rather
> negatively, their experience with ext4...

I've been using ext4 since Jaunty, and I've defintely noticed the
difference in performance... Disk checks take seconds whereas they took
minutes in ext3. I've never had any problems with it, but your mileage
may vary. ext4 was beta until recently, so I expect there were problems
with it at some point... Personally I've never had any though...

Daniel