Jaunty Real Time Kernel fails immediately

Fernando Gomes f.m.gomes at gmail.com
Wed May 6 10:43:50 BST 2009

> Sounds more like you've got the wrong driver set in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> I didn't make any nvidia specific changes.
>
> If you'd like to compile it, grab the source from kernel.org, apply
> ingo's rt patch, and then set the preemption to "Complete" and the
> Timer Freq to 1000Hz.
>
> --
> Luke MacNeil
> www.lukemacneil.com

An update to my previous email:

The problem I had with Luke kernel was because I was using a
proprietary driver for my Radeon HD 3200 graphic card before I install
Luke kernel and this why I have no X with this kernel, I rebooted with
the normal kernel, reverted to the  non proprietary driver,
reinstalled Luke kernel (I have removed it in the meantime) and it
works without any error or warning in the logs! This is completely
different from what happens with the ubuntustudio rt kernel, that I am
unable to use because the PC doesn't even boot, even passing nolapic
and other boot parameters.

Are there significant differences between Luke kernel and the kernel
from ubuntustudio?

Do you know if there is some possibility to use ATI proprietary
drivers with rt kernels? The graphic performance with non proprietary
drivers is a bit low, compared to the one I have with proprietary
drivers :-(

After using Luke kernel I decided to build one myself (a thing that I
had done many years ago, when it was necessary to rebuild the kernel
to support new hardware).
I've used the kernel linux-2.6.29.2.tar.bz2 and the rt patch
patch-2.6.29.2-rt11.bz2 both  from kernel.org. Then I used make
menuconfig and changed preemption to complete and timer freq to
1000Hz, accordingly with Luke's instructions.
Then I made:

make-kpkg clean
time fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd -rev mz1 kernel_image kernel_headers

After finishing building the kernel packages, I made

sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-2.6.29.2-rt11-fg_mz1_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.29.2-rt11-fg_mz1_i386.deb

I have the same warning I get from Luke kernel related to nvidia in
the postbuild script (that occurs also when I install new packeges
using apt-get). I rebooted and it also worked well (seems similar to
Luke kernel in the short tests I made, still didn't make any audio
tests).

Is this the correct way for building a new kernel for Ubuntu? I
followed a Debian kernel build tutorial...

Can we have conflicts if there is some kernel update on ubuntustudio repository?

The mail is long, I'm going to stop now :-)

Fernando