Jaunty Real Time Kernel fails immediately

Luke MacNeil tcpsyn at gmail.com
Mon May 4 01:06:54 BST 2009

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Fernando Gomes <f.m.gomes at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:57 PM, Gustin Johnson <gustin at echostar.ca> wrote:
>>
>> Luke MacNeil wrote:
>>> Indeed. I spend a lot of time tweaking audio packages for my own
>>> system. I'm sure you do to. If we can figure this out, we can probably
>>> be of substantial help to the project.
>>>

> I've installed plain 9.04 i386 and then installed Luke rt kernel. And
> the system boots without the locks during boot I get from ubuntustudio
> 9.04 rt kernel. The only problem I have (and is a major one, but I
> didn't have time yet to look at it) is that there is an error during
> the installation of Luke kernel, due to some nvidea problem (as my
> system has an ATI graphic, I tried to reboot using Luke kernel even
> with this error), and during boot the x doesn't start, I opened a
> console and the system is working well without errors on dmesg, but I
> expected to see some errors due to the graphic failure... I have to
> spend some more time with this problem... Luke, can you tell us what
> did you do to build your kernel? The fact of not having boot locks on
> my hardware with your kernel is because it is based on a newer version
> (this is a fact) or because you tweaked it somehow?
> Thanks Luke, and it seems we are going in the right direction, I was
> thinking already that the only way to use ubuntustudio is to change my
> hardware!
>
> Fernando

Sounds more like you've got the wrong driver set in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf

I didn't make any nvidia specific changes.

If you'd like to compile it, grab the source from kernel.org, apply
ingo's rt patch, and then set the preemption to "Complete" and the
Timer Freq to 1000Hz.

--
Luke MacNeil
www.lukemacneil.com