usb/midi adapter - which ones work well?

Larry David larrydavid07 at comcast.net
Tue Jan 27 17:54:47 GMT 2009

Hey Rob,

Others here know the answers to your questions with certainty, but
I'll tell you what I think based on my research so far.   I'm pretty
sure that you will need a driver for the expresscard.  If you're
lucky (or smart and look into it before you buy) you'll get a card
that is supported by the FFADO driver - a free FW driver for Linux.
Check the list of supported devices here:  www.ffado.org to see if
any card you're looking at is supported, and if so at what level.

I too am thinking of getting a new Linux laptop (switching from a
Mac) and find that most of them do not have FW ports.  Since FW
support is sketchy at best, and since the ALSA site (http://www.alsa-
project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page) suggests that any "standards
compliant" USB audio interface will work with the ALSA driver, I'm
wondering why anyone would use FW over USB 2.0.  The only reason I
would is that I already have 2 FW audio interfaces.  But I would sell
one and get a USB interface if it worked with Linux (neither of my FW
interfaces are supported by FFADO; one actually doesn't even work
with my G4 Macs, but that's another story).  In your case, if you
have to go buy an audio interface of some kind anyway, I would check
into USB interfaces.  M-Audio has one that looks pretty good on paper
(or display, as the case may be) - Fast Track Ultra something:
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/-Fast-Track-Ultra-8R-USB-
Interface?sku=482555

And to comment on the original post below; I'm going to see if I can
find out whether Mackie is supportive (either actively and/or
philosophically) of a Linux driver (or at least providing sufficient
info to FFADO) for the Onyx 400F firewire interface.  This is the one
I have that has never worked with my G4's - though I think they have
a new driver release that I have yet to try.  Needless to say I have
not had a good experience with either Mackie or Apple concerning this
device - I bought it a couple years ago when it first came out and it
has the best sounding pres I've heard on anything at that price - or
double the price.  But it produces all kinds of pops and crackles
when recording via FW.  I kept it because it was worth the price just
for the 4 pres in it; but thought it was pretty lame to put out such
a broken product, and then take so long to fix it (if it is indeed
fixed now, which it may not be).  Anyway, all of that is to say that
if Mackie is friendly to the FLOSS community - maybe sends a unit to
FFADO developers, or <gasp> writes a Linux driver for it themselves -
then that would be a very happy turn of events.

Mackie has forums here: http://forums.mackie.com/scripts/forum/
ultimatebb.cgi  that I stopped visiting out of disgust over a year
ago, but as I said, I will go back and nose around.  Maybe something
good will happen if enough Linux users go over there and rile things
up a bit - in a nice way of course. :-)

ld