Pulse ?

Cory K. coryisatm at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 26 21:11:53 GMT 2009

sandie wrote:
> I can understand the reason not to make a non-pulse Ubustu dist, at
> least from a developers point of view, but as a mucissian who just want
> to make music, I need a stable working enviroment

A "JACK" only Ubuntu Studio has certainly been thrown around. (and is
still not out of the realm of possibility) It's a much tougher decision
to make than you know. While music folk are for sure our largest user
base I have many emails from teachers/artists and the like talking about
using Studio. Mostly from the "I didn't know about these apps." standpoint.

*Countless* bugs and ML posts would ensue from people wondering "Why
doesn't app "X" work in Studio? It works in Ubuntu!" I'm just not ready
to go there. (yet) Breaking (in other users eyes) other apps so things
are better for JACK users.

> and until wine and jackd can "speak pulse", I defenitly think that the need for a simple script/program that can make the switch from pulse to Alsa (and back again).

Pulse already shuts off so JACK can start now. As for the WINE part, I
have no clue. I don't use it.

In the end, there are *MANY* things that can be done so that things run
smoother for all. Even is they are done by the user later, we can make
it easier. Getting involved with Ubuntu Studio Controls
(https://launchpad.net/ubuntustudio-controls) is one place. Our
resources are so finite it's crazy. You guys just don't know how thin we
are stretched. For things to really get better we need more users to
turn developers. Nobody wants to hear it but it's true. I was one.
Khashayar is our most recent.

So we do what we can within a given release. Our only other alternative
is to board up shop. Close it down. And I feel that would be a shame as
the Ubuntu brand has brought alot of light to our corner of the world.
Shame to lose it.

This have improved *greatly* since the Feisty days. Progress is slower
than most would like but without the same resources as Canonical ,
Microsoft or Apple, it is what it is.

-Cory K.