Forging a new path.

beejunk at gmail.com beejunk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 19:59:29 BST 2009

On Apr 13, 2009 10:11am, beejunk at gmail.com wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2009 6:44am, Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net> wrote:
> > >Susan Cragin wrote:
> >
> > It is my understanding that real-time kernels force processes to work
> simultaneously rather than sequentially, forcing some of them to bypass
> safety features. I checked this on the net and only found references to
> 2007 and earlier, so this may have been resolved.
> >
> > In Studio wireless is not automatically enabled (through
> gnome-network-admin), and I thought this was one of the reasons why,
> because you have to activate consciously, and only over a secure network.
> For instance, you would never let your banking information fly over your
> library or coffee shop wireless.
> >
> > Susan

Hah! I just realized that at least a couple of my e-mails were sent
directly to peoples' personal e-mail addresses because I was replying in
the wrong way. I'm so savvy! Sorry about that, Susan (and also at least one
to Cory, and who knows who else). So, anyway, I'll repost this, the correct
way:

Hmm, not sure what you're talking about here. My wireless was setup during
the install process of Ubuntu Studio. I remember thinking that it was cool
that I just entered the password for my network, and Ubuntu Studio found
the network (of many in the area) without prompting me for the name. It now
starts up automatically whenever I boot up. I suppose this does count
as 'activating consciously', but if by that you mean just enter your
password, then you always have to do that, even in regular Ubuntu.