connecting ubuntu studio with other machines

Dirk Detering mailtodet at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 12 07:58:31 BST 2008

> > 2) ideally, the solution would be to use the audigy card (linux box) as
> > a direct output for Ableton (winxp laptop). I was thinking that a
> > firewire cable connecting both machines and some installation of drivers
> > would do the job but it doesn't. Would a USB cable or any type of
> > connection do it or am I asking apples to an oak tree?
> >
> More like Apples from a Tiger Shark.  If JACK and netjack worked under
> Windows, then this could be an option.  I am not aware of any solution
> that utilizes USB or firewire and is cross platform.

Interesting topic.

Thinking of why it does not work currently:
If you use an external sound card connected via USB, the computer
sends and receives digital data through the device driver.

As a windows machine as well as a Linux machine is able to
work with the same external machine, it seems to be
imaginable that the Jack I/O works against a USB connected sound
card driver and the windows I/O too.
So what's the problem?

The problem is that each of the two computers waits to dectect the
"connected device" to setup the right driver.
So no one of the both computers stands up and says:
"Here I am, your Sound Service Providing Device".

It is like a girl and a boy each sitting on their telephone and waiting
for the call   ;-) .