many problems after upgrade to Hardy

Paul DeShaw pauldeshaw at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 17:38:32 BST 2008

> Gustin Johnson  wrote:
> What are the hardware specs of your desktop and what soundcard/midi
> controller are you using?

AMD 64 2800+, 1GB, M-Audio Ozone Academic (USB keyboard/MIDI/audio
interface, originally bundled with Pro Tools M-Powered Academic bundle.
Kernel support added for this device in the main kernel tree, late 2007,
then integrated into the Hardy kernel)

>  Do you have any extra boot options in your
> menu.lst (eg. noacpi or some such)?

I don't see any.

> You mentioned that you had 64Studio installed, does it fare any better
> with your hardware?  I have 64Studio on my Desktop and Ubuntu for my
> laptop and am familiar (and happy) with both distros.

I have never been able to get 64 Studio to recognize my audio/midi hardware,
even though I updated it fairly recently.  I haven't checked to see what
kernel they're currently using.

> -On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Cory K. wrote:
>
> I'm going to suggest a clean reinstall of Ubuntu Studio-Hardy on the box
> in question *if* you really wanna see if it's the HW or your
> configuration. Feisty->Gutsy->Hardy. Many things could have happened
> over this time frame.
>
> -Cory K.

I've been leaning towards this, moving files and directories I want to save
to external drives in preparation for it.  Three things are hindering this
effort:

1).  I still have to learn how to clone my old /home directory into a new
installation.  I could leave it in the containing file and just copy it into
the new /home, but I would rather have it just become the new  /home.  I'm
not sure I'm being clear--

I don't think I want to end up with /home/pad/old_pad, with old_pad being
the home folder I saved from the old installation.  (My user name is pad.)
Rather, I want /home/pad to just be the original /home/pad, with the
addition of whatever Ubuntu puts in your home folder by default, such as
examples and whatnot.  I don't know how to accomplish this other than moving
files one at a time into the new /home/pad.  Surely there's an easier and
more elegant way?  Also, not sure if I need the entire /home directory, or
just my user (pad) directory to come over.

2)  With the availability of the new 64-bit version, I'd rather install
that. (Recall that I have an AMD 64-based system).  I'm not sure if some
things get stored in the home folder that will not be compatible between
32-bit and 64-bit systems.  There are all kinds of hidden files that I take
to be configuration files, and who knows what else.  I don't know if I will
break a whole bunch of stuff by attempting to use my old user folder in a
new, 64-bit system.

Maybe I should compromise, by moving my /home into its own partition, then
installing the 64-bit with its own /home.  I can then mount the other /home
partition to access files as needed, keeping the /home within the new
installation as the default /home.  The disadvantage is I won't be able to
have the default /home on its own partition--or maybe I can? Just have two
different /home partitions with different names, and point to one as the
default?

This is way more complicated than I'd like.  Much simpler and more elegant
to integrate the old into the new.  But I'm now sure about the procedure,
and what to do about any files that might mess up a 64-bit system.

3) I've noticed I have all the sound (but not MIDI) funtioning on the
2.6.22-xx kernels, but NOT the 2.6.24-xx kernels. That M-Audio thing is not
detected--even though the 2.6.24-xx kernels work fine with it on the
MacBook, including the new-to-Hardy MIDI functionality.  On the desktop,
with the ~.24 kernels I can't even listen to .mp3s, no system sounds,
nothing.  Who knows if I will have no sound at all with a clean reinstall,
and if I will be able to fix it if it doesn't work?   So I'm a little stuck
right now.

Thanks for working with me, I don't know what I'd do otherwise.

--PD