Need Help.. BAD!

Robin rc.rattusrattus at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 28 14:11:19 GMT 2008

> On Saturday 26 January 2008 16:37, Robin wrote:
> > >
> > > I would certainly hate to have to reinstall 6.06 and lose a lot of
> > > work put
> > > into the OS over the year(s)!!!!
> > >
> > > If anyone has some ideas I could surely use them as this has gone on
> > > for nearly a week and I have gotten nowhere, so far.
> > >
> > > Tks,
> > >
> > > Ray
> >
> > This sounds like gnome might be using old configuration files from your
> > /home/user/ directory.
> >
> > NB! This will remove any settings e.g. backgrounds that you have set up
> >
> > If you log out of X (gnome) hit Ctrl-Alt-F2 keys to get to a console and
> > login as yourself then enter
> >
> > mv .gnome2 .gnome2.old
> > mv .gconf .gconf.old
> > mv .gconfd .gconfd.old
> >
> > Hit Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get back to login screen
> >

> > If the issue persists and you have a .gtkrc file in your home directory
> > move that out of the way.

rob

On 28/01/2008, Ray Edester <Ray_Edester at bellsouth.net> wrote:Hi Robin,

I have replaced the nVidia card setting in xorg.conf with the proper one
that worked with 6.06.   But no luck.

I "Slocated" for .gnome2 and had so many that I'm reluctant at this time in
removing it from /home/ray/.gnome2 until I can know more about it.

It has many sub-dirs as "/home/ray/.gnome2/ ****"  as well.
I am ignorant as to its usage and fear to render myself unable to enter the
OS at all...

/home/ray/.gtkrc-1.2-gnome2

Is there as well.  Same caveats apply...

?????

Ray

What you get is the same desktop as was originally installed by Ubuntu.  New
.gnome2 etc. files and directories are created. System (OS  or X server)
settings, in the main, are not stored in your Home directory. The mv command
does not delete the files so you could reverse the process by mv
.gnome2.old  .gnome2 . You shouldn't need to though.

rob

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=82BS4ZCMFR1