Ardour vs. Audacity?

Mark Stuart Burge mark at msbrepairs.com
Fri Jan 4 05:27:27 GMT 2008

I would definitely recommend ardour if you want to record multi track
and have any level of control.
Audacity is great for single track recording and chopping the results
up, filtering etc and then exporting, but when it comes to recording
multiple parts, lining them up, mixing down, automating fades, pan and
inserts then ardour makes it all easy.

The learning curve is not that huge if that is all you need to do. It
just takes a little getting used to.

Ardour I think is heading in the direction of midi compatibility also,
which will be great if they do get there, as it will save having to
learn yet another application just for the the times when you need to
use synths etc.

Also,  ardour is likely to be around for a long time, so it is worth
your investment (in time and effort as well as hopefully financially to
support the developers)