gTick replacement?

D. Michael McIntyre michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com
Sun Feb 24 20:38:46 GMT 2008

On Sunday 24 February 2008, Cory K. wrote:
> I'm open to suggestions on this one. gtick was a nice stand-alone app.
> If some knows of one of one without this issue that would be great.

http://kmetronome.sourceforge.net/

Though it trades one issue for another one.  It presumes you have some MIDI
playback working, and that you have enough timer resolution to get accurate
MIDI timing, but both of these are actually reasonable assumptions on Ubuntu
Studio out of the box, so that might be viable.  (Assuming the drum kit with
Freepats has the right patches for the ticks.  I know Freepats has some holes
in its GM coverage.)

This is based on a GNOME application, but the last time I looked, that one was
totally defunct.  Actually, this whole conversation has the air of déjà vu
about it.  Have I already mentioned KMetronome and its
predecessor/inspiration?

Anyway, I'm not pushing, and if there's another choice out there, please do
weigh all the options.  I'll throw in that I can imagine finding time to port
it to QT4, and can imagine that Pedro would accept the patch, and/or add me
to his project, but things that are imagined frequently don't actually come
to pass.  (Like winning the Super Bigass Lottery.  I'm very disappointed that
you haven't provided me with the numbers yet.  The cast of "The Biggest
Loser" is going without its Ubuntu Studio hoodies, and I'm still driving an
18-wheeler.  For shame.)

--
D. Michael McIntyre