gTick replacement?

Toby Smithe tsmithe at ubuntu.com
Sun Feb 24 21:33:03 GMT 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 8:38 PM, D. Michael McIntyre
<michael.mcintyre at rosegardenmusic.com> wrote:
> On Sunday 24 February 2008, Cory K. wrote:
>  > I'm open to suggestions on this one. gtick was a nice stand-alone app.
>  > If some knows of one of one without this issue that would be great.
>
>  http://kmetronome.sourceforge.net/

Looks good, but it's too late for Ubuntu Hardy.

>  Though it trades one issue for another one.  It presumes you have some MIDI
>  playback working, and that you have enough timer resolution to get accurate
>  MIDI timing, but both of these are actually reasonable assumptions on Ubuntu
>  Studio out of the box, so that might be viable.  (Assuming the drum kit with
>  Freepats has the right patches for the ticks.  I know Freepats has some holes
>  in its GM coverage.)

Ubuntu Hardy now ships fluid-soundfont, so this (or at least when
timidity or whatever synth you use is configured correctly), to my
knowledge, shouldn't be a problem. And, on modern CPUs, I'd hope MIDI
timing was accurate, too.