Alsa/Ubuntu Studio Midi IN: Program Change?

Jonathan Leonard jonathan.adams.leonard at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 00:36:40 BST 2007

Has anyone had any trouble receiving program changes in Ubuntu
Studio?  I am using the latest Alsa and have 2 midi devices:  the
midi in on the echo layla 20, and the Evolution X-session midi in.  I
have a controller keyboard sending program changes and regardless of
what number I send, only program 01 is received.  I have connected my
keyboard to a midi monitor on another machine and can confirm the
correct transmission of program changes.  I have tried the midi in on
the layla, and the midi in on the x-session and both have the same
effect:  no matter what I send for PC, only pc 01 is received.  I can
play notes, modwheel and pitchbend fine into these 2 hardware ports.
I have tested this in Reaper/wine/wineasio, and Rosegarden.  While
both of these programs can receive notes and others just fine on
those 2 midi ports - not so for program change.  So that means its
not my controller, not the applications or midi interfaces, but some
filter or setting for all midi.

Does anyone know how to fix this or have some idea?

Also what midi monitor do people prefer for linux?

Thanks!

Jonathan Leonard