[ubuntu-studio-devel] Pre-Installed Application Review

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue May 12 15:45:18 UTC 2020

On Tue, 12 May 2020, Jacek Konieczny wrote:

> On 11.05.2020 14:15, Peter Reppert wrote:
>>     Len and I have discussed removing the Calf plugins from the default
>>     install since lsp-plugins covers the things that Calf can do (and then
>>     some), and Calf has a tendency to be prone to crashing when used in
>>     Ardour.
>
> I don't think that is still true. There were a few problems with Calf
> and Ardour, but AFAIK all have been fixed. I have not seen such a crash
> in a long time. And Calf plugins are really nice, especially the 'look
> and feel'. Worth to keep that.

I would think the audio that comes out the back end is more important that
"look and feel". The math issues still remain such as phasing in eq,
zippering still prevents automating values. So far as I know the reverb
can still put out +1000dB signals once in a while. The values on the
controls do not reflect what the plugins actually do.

However, because of their wonderful look and feel, they seem to be the
first plugins mentioned to new users rather than higher quality plugins
available. It seems so long as we ship these plugins, they become a "go
to" for anyone helping people getting going only to find out later they
are not so great really.

I would rather answer a few more times why studio doesn't include Calf,
that see them continuously recomended as first choice. I see Calf as a
"well you can of course install them from the repos but we will not give
support if you have trouble with them".

www.ovenwerks.net