[ubuntu-studio-devel] Web design/theme contribution

eylul eylul at ubuntustudio.org
Mon Apr 15 14:54:08 UTC 2019

Hi again!
> Yes, we are able to build the Wordpress theme/coding side, as well as
> design side, with supervision and assistance from you/ubuntu studio team.
> However, what you've mentioned in previous site/theme development
> workflow sounds limiting.
> Are we still restricted with the same constraint today?

As far as I know we any change we make to the theme needs to go through
IS submission procedure, so the requirement to be ability to change any
content (and ideally any images that might require changing) without
touching the theme remains. Making the theme easily editable is not a
solution unfortunately. Any theme needs to account for the fact that any
change to the website content/updates will be done via wordpress
structures. Just to note that, we also didn't have a lot of luck with
acceptance of plugins that gives access to css overrides or drag and
drop etc. Probably the best solution is to have custom fields on the
theme to fill out parts of the front page. (e.g. download link,
description, 6 software examples). Another approach obviously is to have
the css and layout inside the front page content, which is more than a
little hacky.

Anyhow now you begin to see why we sometimes went with more conservative
approaches.

> For source, and work files, yes, fortunately, the concept is created
> using software that available in Linux (Inkscape, Krita, etc).
> We will make sure all source assets are available and committed to a
> repo with an open license.
> One photo that you've mentioned in the concept is taken from unsplash
> (it's my favorite free stock photo). The license looks fine so far
> https://unsplash.com/license, attribution is not mandatory, but we can
> put credits somewhere in the site. or change it with another photo
> from your art asset repo.
> We also use random icons from fontawesome in the concept (as a draft).

It has less to do with if we can credit it or not and more that end
resulting theme will have to be licensed as GPL so everything used has
to be compatible with that. Unsplash unfortunately is a bit of a
question mark, so it might be safer to replace them.(they are not
against the spirit of GPL etc but that is not the question there) Some
links for the context, and welcome to the land of Open source license
compatibility issues. :)

https://creativecommons.org/2017/06/22/unsplash/

https://wptavern.com/unsplash-updates-its-license-raises-gpl-compatibility-concerns

Replacing the font with open licensed font shouldn't be too hard, but
let me know if you get stuck.

I hope this is helpful and not too demoralizing. :)

Best

Eylul