[ubuntu-studio-devel] Vision for 19.04 and beyond

Ross Gammon rosco at ubuntustudio.org
Sun Oct 14 09:14:46 UTC 2018

Hi Erich,

Great idea!

Once the details are debated I would recommend producing a blueprint
(linked to a wiki?) in launchpad so it can be tracked.

On 10/13/2018 09:01 PM, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:

> On 10/13/2018 11:54 AM, Len Ovens wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Oct 2018, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:
>>
>>> === Phase 1 (GOAL: 19.04) ===
>>>
>>> Make ubuntustudio-installer the only package people need to install to
>>> bolt-on Ubuntu Studio's tools to their existing Ubuntu (or flavor
>>> thereof) install, thereby enabling people to use Ubuntu Studio inside of
>>> whatever is their favorite DE.
>>
>> Are we changing the GUI lib?
>>

> I don't think that's necessary. Qt environments (such as Plasma) are
> good at using GTK nowadays, and already have GTK installed for the most
> part. I don't think it's worth changing the GUI lib unless there's a
> really compelling reason to do so. Changing the GUI lib could be too
> much time investment for low return.
>
>>>  * Modify ubuntustudio-installer to depend on ubuntustudio-controls
>>

>>>  * Split the lowlatency kernel grub selection settings from
>>> ubuntustudio-default-settings into its own package
>>> (ubuntustudio-lowlatency-kernel) that depends on linux-lowlatency. I've
>>> already done this and will get this synced soon.
>>
>> There are two more settings I would include in that move, swapiness
>> and timer permisions. Swappiness could be something that is useful for
>> graphics/video too (comments?).

We should submit a launchpad bug(s) which will be needed in the
changelog for the upload.

> Okay, that would be good.
>
>>>  * Add the ubuntustudio-lowlatency-kernel to the ubuntustudio-audio
>>> metapackage, since people who need audio optimization are the only ones
>>> that need the lowlatency package.
>>
>> If we do this, I would suggest fixing the grub file so that it gives
>> lowlatency as default like now, but also have generic as the second
>> option and default if there is no lowlatency. Also generic should be
>> labeled as such. Basically the grub hack should get fixed.... really
>> this should be an upstream thing. If there is more than one kind of
>> kernel they should all be listed and there should be a user parameter
>> that chooses a type for default with fallback should that type not be
>> available.
>>
> Yes. Good idea. I noticed two entries: Ubuntu (lowlatency) and Ubuntu,
> which both load the lowlatency kernel. This could definitely use some
> cleanup.
>
>>> === Phase 2 (GOAL: 19.10) ===
>>
>> Too far ahead for me to think about :) but reasonable anyway.
>>
> Yeah, that was the point. :)

With all these changes to seeds, I would recommend converting from
bazaar to git before we start. We are the last flavour to do it I
believe. I am happy to take that on if required.

Cheers,

Ross