[ubuntu-studio-devel] Vision for 19.04 and beyond

Erich Eickmeyer erich at ericheickmeyer.com
Sat Oct 13 19:01:48 UTC 2018

On 10/13/2018 11:54 AM, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Oct 2018, Erich Eickmeyer wrote:
>
>> === Phase 1 (GOAL: 19.04) ===
>>
>> Make ubuntustudio-installer the only package people need to install to
>> bolt-on Ubuntu Studio's tools to their existing Ubuntu (or flavor
>> thereof) install, thereby enabling people to use Ubuntu Studio inside of
>> whatever is their favorite DE.
>
> Are we changing the GUI lib?

I don't think that's necessary. Qt environments (such as Plasma) are
good at using GTK nowadays, and already have GTK installed for the most
part. I don't think it's worth changing the GUI lib unless there's a
really compelling reason to do so. Changing the GUI lib could be too
much time investment for low return.

>>  * Modify ubuntustudio-installer to depend on ubuntustudio-controls
>

>>  * Split the lowlatency kernel grub selection settings from
>> ubuntustudio-default-settings into its own package
>> (ubuntustudio-lowlatency-kernel) that depends on linux-lowlatency. I've
>> already done this and will get this synced soon.
>
> There are two more settings I would include in that move, swapiness
> and timer permisions. Swappiness could be something that is useful for
> graphics/video too (comments?).

Okay, that would be good.

>>  * Add the ubuntustudio-lowlatency-kernel to the ubuntustudio-audio
>> metapackage, since people who need audio optimization are the only ones
>> that need the lowlatency package.
>
> If we do this, I would suggest fixing the grub file so that it gives
> lowlatency as default like now, but also have generic as the second
> option and default if there is no lowlatency. Also generic should be
> labeled as such. Basically the grub hack should get fixed.... really
> this should be an upstream thing. If there is more than one kind of
> kernel they should all be listed and there should be a user parameter
> that chooses a type for default with fallback should that type not be
> available.

Yes. Good idea. I noticed two entries: Ubuntu (lowlatency) and Ubuntu,
which both load the lowlatency kernel. This could definitely use some
cleanup.

>> === Phase 2 (GOAL: 19.10) ===
>
> Too far ahead for me to think about :) but reasonable anyway.

Yeah, that was the point. :)