[ubuntu-studio-devel] Agenda for today's meeting

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Apr 14 16:51:49 UTC 2018

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018, erich at ericheickmeyer.com wrote:

I won't be able to attend today (family outing starts an hour before)

>  *  Old Business
>      +  Wallpaper created by Eylul

Both ubuntustudio-look and ubuntustudio-default-settings need to be
released by someone who has access.

>      +  Testing of package selection in Ubiquity – follow up
>      +  Discussion of Desktop Environments / Len’s testing – thoughts

Just started :) I will do MATE next so I can look at:

>      +  Discuss moving forward with adaptation of Ubuntu MATE’s welcome app to
>         replace “ubuntustudio-installer” for 18.10

>  *  New Business
>      +  GIMP 2.10 conflict with MyPaint 1.3 – (Per our mailing list discussion I
>         commented on the bug
>         (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gimp/+bug/1759625) to keep 2.8
>         in at this time and move to 2.10 in the future after MyPaint, with users
>         who want 2.10 in the meantime getting the snap version once it’s
>         available) – further discussion?
>      +  Ubuntu Studio 18.04 not an LTS – low manpower – further discussion?
>      +  Ross is busy – will miss the release. (I’m available that morning – Los
>         Angeles time, but I might be able to handle pushing a button or sending
>         out a release notification. Will likely enlist the help & guidance of
>         Simon Quigley)

Ross was the one I was hoping would release the two above packages... need
to find someone else.

-controls has reached a dividing point for it's cpu governor stuff. What
works on 16.04 does not work on 18.04. I do not know which release/cycle
made the change. If someone happens to have 17.10 or 17.04 could they
please check for the existance of /etc/init.d/ondemand or similar. 16.04
has it, 18.04 does not. (18.04 uses systemd)

Bug in 18.04 cpufrequilts - rc script runs before the required kernel
modules are loaded :) and needs to be systemd-ified to work well with the
normal ondemand hack. By the way for those of you interested, powersave
does, ondemand does not. Ondemand actually uses more power/hattery/gets
hotter than performance. powersave runs completely in the cpu and so
works, but ondemand is software based and so if the cpu is idle it keeps
getting woke up to see if it is busy. performance does not do that.

This probably means our current -controls is broken but not in a crashy
way, just cpu governor settings will not carry over from session to
session, the rt part is still fine.

www.ovenwerks.net