[ubuntu-studio-devel] Candace

Thomas Pfundt captain-tux at protonmail.ch
Mon Apr 2 17:08:36 UTC 2018

On April 2, 2018 4:33 PM, Erich Eickmeyer <erich at ericheickmeyer.com> wrote:
> FalkTX has just released Cadence v0.9.0, having finished porting it to Qt5.
> This would definitely be another reason we should consider moving from
> QJackCtl to Cadence, along with the extra tools Cadence includes.

Without using as much of a harsh tone as Ralf, I'd also not really be in favour of that, personally. I've used Cadence as well for its one-click-connection functionaliy when I first started using Ubuntu Studio, but have retired it shortly after, because I felt that the configuration and setup options wouldn't allow me to adjust it the way I needed to. This may have changed now, I haven't used it in quite a long time.

However, I don't really see that there's any particular advantage in basic functionality over QJackCtl. You can basically just pactl load-module module-jack-source / module-jack-sink for Pulseaudio connections and add any other external audio devices with alsa_in / alsa_out -d hw:X, as needed. I'd even say that the QJackCtl Patchbay thingy to connect everything is extremely persistent and just runs automatically once a specific setup is saved and and activated. No need for tons of programs for a basic setup, maybe there's just a lack of guidance in documentation regarding different setups? But Cadence may do that as well now and I just haven't seen it, yet.

After all, can't hurt to offer it as well for those that would like to use it. I guess I'd even take another look at it, if I would't have to add the full Kxstudio repositories, first. But then again, there's the issue of getting it into the official repository to begin with.