[ubuntu-studio-devel] Candace

Erich Eickmeyer erich at ericheickmeyer.com
Mon Apr 2 16:01:45 UTC 2018

> On Apr 2, 2018, at 8:32 AM, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> Here we go:
>
> http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/

All this does is point to the ISO repos. This adds nothing to your argument.

> Upgrading from one to another release, should still allow you to
> continue using Ubuntu Studio without major inconveniences. If newcomers
> would be allowed to overturn basal preconditions, completely ignoring
> backwards compatibility with old stored sessions, than there's no
> future at all for Ubuntu Studio. An idea based upon euphoria, without
> any background at all, is the most worse you could contribute.

Upgrading from one release to another wouldn’t uninstall anything already installed, so this is moot. Also, there is nothing saying it was going to change, so just calm down and don’t worry about it that much. It was merely a suggestion and idea, not an overturn of established

> Note, I'm an Arch user, but I help less experienced Linux users a lot.
> Arch is not a user friendly distro, while Ubuntu flavours are more or
> less user-friendly. Both approaches have got pros and cons. While I use
> Arch Linux much more than Ubuntu flavours, I'm much more involved in
> helping Linux novices by contributing to Ubuntu flavour mailing lists.

My opinion: Unless you’re willing to “eat your own dogfood” (i.e. use the product you’re contributing to) then you’re just providing noise. That’s just my opinion. You’ve been very vocal on here and almost acting dictatorial. I’m offering suggestions, you’re offering mandates and dismissing suggestions. I’m sure your opinion is valued, but it would hold more weight if you used the product you’re trying to direct.

> Reconsider your point of view. Progress is very important, but the
> progress must come with a balance to backwards compatibility. If not,
> there's no flow at all, it just would be an endless restart from ground
> zero.

Again, it’s my opinion, and merely my opinion. My views (alone) do not dictate the direction of Ubuntu Studio. Also, as I said before, my suggestion included keeping QJackCtl in the repos, although keeping it installed by default but adding Cadence isn’t a bad idea either.

Your opinion has been noted and will be considered in the decision. No need to further argue or belabor the issue.

Erich