[ubuntu-studio-devel] US Wiki/ help regarding data protection

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Jun 21 15:28:43 UTC 2016

On Tue, 21 Jun 2016 16:18:23 +0200, Set Sakrecoer wrote:
>On 2016-06-21 13:26, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>i'm hesitant about endorsing stuff that is out of our scope. Let me
>think about it :)

Recommending another distro for a special purpose should only be done,
if somebody at least does use it regularly and knows more about this
distro. The idea to use this distro and to install the same apps as one
would use with US, does gain absolutely nothing. IIUC the distro is
based around TOR. The TOR project informs about TOR pitfalls on the home
page.

>That is thunderbird, and it happens regardless what distrib you run it
>on. But yeah, i was headbanging on the first row singing along in the
>refrain when RMS kicked the classic "ubuntu-hate" smash hit at the
>university of stockholm. Gotta have some self-distance to keep the
>mood afloat in this world. ;)

However, I wouldn't either mention Windows 10, nor claim too much that
Ubuntu is far away from being "not financed by selling your personal
information to advertisers". The wording "personal information" is an
elastic term. Ubuntu is not beyond dispute. Unlikely that Ubuntu sells
data, but data is part of a business model that Ubuntu not completely
rejects.

The sentence "Because it is open, cares for freedom and strives for
transparency, it's true that Ubuntu Studio offers better control over
your privacy than proprietary operating systems usually do" is
absolutely beyond dispute. Why mentioning advertisings at all?

>> Actually there's just what IIRC Schneier does and what was pointed
>> out by Luke regarding USB sticks and a computer that is and another
>> computer that isn't connected to the Internet. I'm against
>> recommendations that will cause e-waste, see
>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=agbogbloshie+images ,
>
>You could turn this the other way around, and think of a second
>computer as a way to reduce waste: get one from the second-hand store,
>save it on a waste-yard, repair your cousins broken one or simply do
>not throw that "old" machine away...

You misunderstand my concern. You can't connect an USB stick, that was
connected to a computer with Internet access, to the safe computer. You
need always a brand new USB stick. There is no secure way to share
data between those two computers. The only option is to carry over data
from the safe computer, to the Internet computer. An USB stick that
once was connected with any insecure machine cannot used again. An
analogy: It's like buying a new car, as soon as the fuel tank is
empty, instead of filling up the car's fuel tank.

Regards,
Ralf